Thursday, July 21, 2011

Salsa, Chimol, Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo is how it's known in Mexico and in Houston. In Honduras, we call it Chimol. I call it Salsa. Either way, it's a fresh uncooked condiment that I eat with pretty much anything: breakfast eggs, tacos, on top of black beans, and on top of rice. If there's raw cabbage involved, chimol is mandatory.

My version is loaded with tomatoes. I don't like the texture of refrigerated tomatoes, so I keep mine on the counter. My salsa is very tart from the lime and very spicy from the serrano peppers. You may use jalapenos, and less peppers than what my recipe calls for. This salsa is smoky and fragrant from the cumin that is brought to me from Honduras. When I run out, I buy whole cumin seeds, toast them and grind them... worth the extra steps!


3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 medium red onion, diced fine
2 serrano peppers (seeds and insides included), diced fine
small handful of cilantro, chopped fine
Juice of 1 1/2 to 2 limes 
1 tb of cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste

Dice the all the ingredients. I like to dice the tomatoes a bit larger and the onions, peppers very small. Add the chopped cilantro, lime juice, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Toss together in a bowl. I hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. "When I run out, I buy whole cumin seeds, toast them and grind them... " OF COURSE you do! You make this sound like it's nothing..

    My mouth is watering. This is going to be my lunch one day this weekend. I.cant.wait.

    ReplyDelete