Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hurricane, also known as a Hurt-a-Cane

Here is my variation of a hurricane.

I was first introduced to a hurricane at Pat O' Briens in New Orleans. I have great memories of drinking the large plastic cups filled with the potent hurricane goodness and loudly singing along to whatever was playing at the piano bar. Good times.

While I do enjoy Pat O'Briens' hurricanes, I do think it's a bit sweet. When researching through recipes, I knew this: I didn't want to use grenadine (and have the artificial cherry-high fructose-corn syrup flavor), but I did want that a bit of a cherry color to remind me of Pat O'Briens.

For this mixture, do use an orange juice that is not from concentrate. I had a little trouble finding the passion fruit juice at first, but found plenty of it in the international food isle at the grocery store. I think that peach juice would be a nice alternative if you can't find the passion fruit juice. And please use fresh lime juice. I don't think anyone still uses the bottled "lime juice" anymore, but hey, just in case...

I have made this in a large pitcher (I used cup measurements instead of ounces), let it marinate overnight with slices of oranges and thin slices of lime. The sliced limes marinating overnight gave it a nice extra bit of tart. 

Be very careful. It's been nick named the "hurt-a-cane" because if you drink to much of this, you will hurt the next day!!

1 oz dark rum
1 oz light rum
2 oz orange juice
2 oz passion fruit juice
1/2 oz lime juice
small splash of cherry juice (from the bottled maraschino cherries)  -- for color

Serve over ice.



No comments:

Post a Comment