Sunday, July 3, 2011

My First Indian Dish

It was in 2005 that I first discovered Indian Food. It is now six years later that I finally gained the courage to cook my first Indian dish... Aloo Gobhi (I've seen Gobi used as well), potatoes and cauliflower. It wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be, neither was it as difficult. However, it was exciting. Exciting because I have never used many of the spices: turmeric, cinnamon (in a savory dish), cloves, chilli (the spicy kind). And it was exciting the to have these wonderful new smells in my kitchen!

I took the recipe by combining/altering several recipes and videos found online. I want to make the dish one more time before posting the recipe since I was tweaking and making changes throughout and I didn't document. In the meantime, here are the pictures.

Many of the ingredients are familiar: potatoes, onion, garlic, tomatoes, lemon.
An entire head of cauliflower.

A few carrots to add sweetness, color contrast and a firm texture. 
Round 1 of spices: garlic, cumin, mustard seeds.
Round 2 of spices: cilantro, ginger, chilli, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, salt
Round 2 of spices in a puree with a little bit of water. 
Aloo Gobhi

No comments:

Post a Comment