Monday, July 4, 2011

Chana Masala

Feeling pretty confident lately. My aloo gobhi (potatoes and cauliflower)  was a hit. My husband loved it. I loved it. And quite honestly, it was better than the aloo gobhi I get at my favorite indian restaurant. With all this confidence in mind, and all these spices at home, I thought it was time to make another dish: Chana Masala... Chickpeas!

I've seen it served with bread. I prefer served over rice. Either way, it's delicious!

2 28-oz cans of chickpeas. Rinsed and drained. 


1 bay leaf
1 green chilli pepper
4 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
3 tb canola oil. Heat oil on medium to medium/high heat and add the above three ingredients to flavor the oil, for about 3 minutes. 


2 medium white onions, diced. Add to the above flavored oil. Saute the onions for about 5-7 minutes, until soft. Then, add the following to the onions:


5 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tb ground coriander
pinch of cloves
4 tsp paprika
4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp red hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt (more or less, to taste)

Saute for another 3 minutes. Then add the following:


1 15-oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with juices, pureed. 
Juice of one lemon.
2 cups of water (this may seem like a lot but this will reduce and thicken).

Add to the onion saute above. Simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 15 minutes. At the end, add a generous handful of cilantro.


1 comment: