Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chimichurri

My favorite part of making chimichurri is the bright herbal fragrance that freshens the entire house. You can smell it from outside!

If you've never had chimichurri, you're in for an intense treat. It's green and herbal, it has lots of heat and bite from the garlic, and a little bit of tang from the lime juice. Traditionally, it's made with red wine vinegar, but I prefer lime juice. Use lemon juice if that's all you have.

My recipe calls for a little dried oregano. I have forgotten to add the oregano before and I didn't miss it. But when I do add it, I notice it's there and I love the flavor it contributes. For the olive oil, I use about half extra virgin, half regular olive oil. I think that using only extra virgin olive oil competes too strongly with the flavor of the parsley and garlic. But that's your call.

All of the ingredients in this recipe can be chopped in a food processor. Personally, I prefer to hand chop everything. It has a different texture when you chop everything by hand. I prefer this texture over the food processor. Plus, I find it relaxing to do all that chopping. I like to sprinkle coarse sea salt on the garlic. The salt helps to puree the garlic as I'm chopping it. 

I like to make chimichurri when we grill. Goes great with almost anything! We slather it heavily and shamelessly over the food! My husband even sneaks a spoon full before the food is served!

1 1/2 bunches of italian flat leaf parsley, leaves only
5 large fat garlic cloves
1 tsp dried oregano
2 pinches of dried red peppers, more if you prefer spicier
2 pinches of cracked black pepper
the juice of 1 1/2 limes
olive oil, to your desired consistency
salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients in a blender (minus the olive oil). Or hand chop everything! Add the olive oil and lime juice at the end, blending with a spoon. I hope you enjoy!


Chimichurri on top of grilled shrimp and grilled veggies, served on warm tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment